Hacking on pgAdmin

This weekend I finally took some time to dive into pgAdmin hacking. Previously, I've just nagged at Dave to get issues fixed (those few there were), but that doesn't work forever :-)

Turns out it was a lot easier than I thought. At least, that's what I think now. I've sent in several patches to the guys, and I guess I'll know if it was actually easy once I hear back from them. I might get them all back with a "yuck, this is ugly code" or something. But it does appear to at least work, which is a good first step.

In summary I have to say that it was really easy to understand the layout of the system in pgAdmin. Even though it has been many years since I did any serious C++ing, and I have never done any wx before...

The things I've worked on so far are:

  • Couple of tiny patches for building with VS2003 and for the unicode radiobuttons on the export screen
  • Ability to select all rows in the query output window, for copying, with a single keypress (Ctrl-A)
  • Ability to control quoting and separation when copying from the query results to the clipboard
  • Ability to auto-connect to a database and open a query window on startup using commandline parameters
  • Simple cut at autocompletion ("tab completion" / "intellisense" / whatever you might want to call it) for the SQL editor

Not bad for a first weekend, I think. Assuming, that is, it's actually accepted in the end...